Wednesday 16 January 2008

fire?

Monday I attempted to establish “normal” once again. We had school, cleaned house, did dishes and cooked dinner.

Today, Tuesday, I woke up at 5:30 with belly ache. When I got up at 7, I turned on the light in my room and they flickered. (It’s a dimmer switch.) So I turned it up more, thinking it would come on, but the switch made a sizzling sound and stank. I turned it off quick and thought, “what do I do now?” First things first – I got William into the living room. Then I turned the main power off, as we didn’t know which circuit breaker went to what. Keep in mind it stays dark until 8. No candles, no heat. But no fire. I kept checking to make sure the wall wasn’t getting hot or anything. I called Bob on his cell phone but he was in a meeting. When I finally got him he suggested I call the estate agent; don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that. The guy there said he’d get an electrician, but in the meantime I could see if one circuit was flipped and turn on the rest. Well, none of them were, but they are labeled, sort of – 2 lights, 2 power outlets, and one each stove and boiler. So I turned the lights off and the main back on. No sparks or anything, and the house started to get warm again.

The rest of the day I mainly played computer games and ran to the bathroom.

The electrician came about 5pm and changed the switch. Bob had already taken it out and looked around a bit, and decided it was the switch, and figured which circuit is for that bedroom, so we had lights in the dining room for dinner. We are hoping the agency pays the electrician.

No comments: