Saturday 28 January 2012

Why I homeschool

When you realize that no one understands, and that there are genuine other world-views (or "plausibility structures"), what do you do? I try to explain.

There are many reasons to homeschool.
Here's a list of 101 reasons, mostly related to the breakdown of morality in government schools.
Homeschoolers do better academically.
Homeschoolers are more appropriately socialized. http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp
Homeschoolers don't have to deal with the government school schedule, PTA meetings, or just plain having to make their children do what somebody else wants.
There's no "homework" or doctor's notes, more field trips and time for "extra-curricular" activities.
Homeschoolers can eat lunch (and breakfast) that agrees with their tastes and health needs.
Homeschoolers can learn at their own pace. The curriculum is really tailor-made to each child.

These are all great reasons, and any one might be enough for someone to make the decision to homeschool.

But to me, these are all side benefits, and I'd homeschool EVEN IF none of them were true.

So why do I homeschool?
Because the Bible tells me so.
Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Psa 78:1 Maschil of Asaph. Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:
3 Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.
5 For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:
6 That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:
7 That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments:
(emphasis mine)
It's simple, I know. And argument can be made that one can teach one's children about God in the hours after "school" or on weekends, but you can't get around the daily, hourly instruction commanded in Deuteronomy. That is only possible in the homeschool.

This isn't a "personal" conviction, or passion, or calling. It's not personal at all! God's Word is for all of His children, if we will only accept His wise guidance and the benefits that come with it. "2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" I'd love to quote 1 Timothy 6:3-6, but that seems a little bit over the top in this application. I do find it interesting to note that Paul, through the Holy Spirit, says it is the dissenters who cause strife - not the ones who insist on purity of doctrine.

I thought I'd talked about this before, but couldn't find the post, so I do apologize if you remember reading about it.

Disclaimer: there are exceptions to most rules, and I do understand that some people simply cannot homeschool, however the exception can't be the majority, and more people could do it if they only would. Disclaimer 2: I understand that not everybody is a Christian, and of those who are, not everyone takes the Bible literally. In those cases, what the Bible says has no bearing and that's their option (to believe or not). There is no merit in obeying a God who isn't believed.

2 comments:

Wil said...

"There is no merit in obeying a God who isn't believed"

Interesting point. I do find it odd how many non-believers (or doubters) still follow *some* Biblical instructions "just in case". ;-)

And I'm glad you mentioned the socialization factor. This is (probably) the #1 most-oft quoted reason why people don't homeschool. (It's not their real reason, but it's the reason they cite, when in a discussion.)

I think Heather and I are good examples (though anecdotal) to describe this phenomenon. I public schooled for 13+ years, and still to this day have trouble in most social situations. Heather (started homeschooling at 7th grade?) is much more capable in social situations than I am.

I *can* explain it though. In school, you don't learn real-life socialization. There's no possible way you can. As a student, you rarely deal with adults. You socialize with other children, in an artificial environment, a "bubble" so to speak. You learn about cliques and popularity and which fashions are "necessary".

But you don't learn relationship problem-solving, you don't learn proper interactions, etc.

Unfortunately, the "real" world is now much like school, since so few of those students every grew up...

MamaOlive said...

Thanks for getting my point about socialization. You said it very well.

Now, a disclaimer on my disclaimer - even if a person doesn't believe in God, if they do what is right there will be benefits. Follow the laws, don't get put in jail; wash your hands in running water, don't get sick so much; treat people well, have more friends (etc). But it doesn't help them in the end (Judgement Day) because nobody can be perfect all the time (and that's why we need a Redeemer).
(According to generally accepted Christian beliefs, which I think are true or I wouldn't follow them.)