Monday 21 April 2008

Politics again

I just read an interesting article here, and wanted to share a few snippets.


Let’s be clear: a John McCain Presidency will be no better than a Hillary Clinton or a Barack Obama Presidency. In fact, in many ways, a McCain White House will be WORSE than a Democratic one.

On many issues, there is virtually no distinction between John McCain and any potential Democratic candidate. John McCain is no friend to gun owners. He is no friend to pro-lifers. He is no friend to fiscal conservatives. He is no friend to property owners. He is no friend to "family values" voters. He is no friend to America’s blue-collar workers. He is no friend to small business owners. He is no friend to opponents of illegal immigration.

....


what we are actually faced with is not the "lesser of two evils" but "the evil of two lessers." (To quote a good friend of mine.) And the reason John McCain would actually be a worse President than either Obama or Clinton is because of the manner in which conservatives go to sleep whenever a Republican occupies the Oval Office.

...

I can hear readers screaming at me now, saying that voting for a third party candidate is a wasted vote. I strongly disagree! Casting a vote for a person who you know is unfaithful to your principles is a wasted vote! Voting for someone who you know will keep our borders and ports open to illegals, continue George Bush’s preemptive war doctrine, and facilitate a burgeoning hemispheric government--not to mention someone who will increase and augment a burgeoning Orwellian police state--is a wasted vote!

...

I am convinced that only a miracle can save America now. And I am expecting God to grant such a miracle. Beyond that, I am willing to do my part to place myself in a position to let God use my voice and my vote to accomplish this miracle. And if that means voting for someone who "has no chance of winning" in order to let God take the glory for whatever victory results, it is the least I can do. So, who will join me?

3 comments:

Wil said...

I wholeheartedly agree that a third-party vote is not a wasted vote, IF that candidate DOES agree with your values.

There are a couple of problems. Some states (like Oklahoma) don't allow third parties. Period. It's against Oklahoma law to recognize a third party. So anyone who doesn't toe the two-party line is an "independent" here. Even candidates.

Another problem. It's difficult to find that third-party (or independent) candidate who's worth your vote. Almost as difficult as finding a worthy Republican or Democrat.

Also, while Obaminton and McCain will be on the ballot in all 50 states, those third-party candidates will only be on the ballots in SOME states, while others will make the ballots in other states.

I too am looking for that miracle you mentioned.

MamaOlive said...

So, Oklahoma not only doesn't have 3rd party primaries, they won't even allow a 3rd choice on the general election ticket? That's crazy!

The founders really didn't want ours to be a 2-party system, so I've heard.

And, yes, it would be equally silly to vote for a 3rd party candidate with whom you don't agree as to vote for one of the frontrunners with whom you don't agree.

I've been over worried lately about the current state of affairs, as if my worry could change Who's in charge.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. And as Wil said there may be no one to vote for in Okla.
mums