Tuesday 22 April 2008

Beautiful Day

Today was just beautiful, weather wise. I have The Weather Channel desktop on my computer, so whenever I open it up I check the weather. It was 52*F when I got up this morning, and kept climbing. By 10am it was 60*, so we went to the park. I didn't think I would ever get the children out of the house without waking up Bob, but somehow we made it.

We played at the park for an hour, and then came home for lunch. I'd wanted to walk on down to the shop and get a loaf of bread for sandwiches, but the children kept running out ahead of me and I was afraid they'd get out in the road. So they had crackers and cheese, and I ... to be honest, I had a batch of "no-bake" cookies.

After lunch we did schoolwork and computer time, and made BBQ meatballs for dinner. Once they were in the oven (Ella was in bed) I took the children out to the "front" yard to pull weeds from the rock bed. I took an old quilt to lay William on; he didn't like the bright sun in his eyes, fussed a bit and then fell asleep. But then Cedwryck jumped on the blanket and hollered, "William's asleep!!!" which of course woke him up. But we got one bed weeded. Neighbor Bob was out, weeding around the pathway between our two houses, and he got to talking (as usual). Then it was time to go in and check the meatballs.

Bob woke up in time to take Riah to work on his car (Bob's car, not Riah's) for awhile before dinner. After a filling dinner (for all but Ella, who took one bite and quit) we went back out for awhile. Bob trimmed the hedges and I trimmed a potted vine beside the house, and the children played.

Spring? Let's hope so.

4 comments:

Ganeida said...

I like pulling weeds. It's a nice peaceful occupation. We are getting rain & more rain. I like rain & we need it badly but as it is now getting colder (comparitively; it won't snow here at least!) I'm not real enthused. I diskue being wet & cold.

S.A.M. said...

Happy Belated Earth Day to You! I think it's sweet that you guys did some outdoor activities and went Green. I don't know about England, but we have been inundated with ads about saving the planet, global warming (which I don't believe exists) and carbon footprints.

On a different note I see your 60F and raise you our 80F high today. Happy Spring!

Mrs. Darling said...

Waaa, I wanna pull weeds but the rain wont quit! Sounds like you had a productive day.

MamaOlive said...

Hey you weed pullers, try it in west Texas sometime! Here the ground is soft and moist, and the weeds just slip out. THERE the ground is caked and packed, and if it's alive the roots are about 10 feet long...
I don't mind weeding here.

s.a.m., I forgot it was earth day. We don't have the TV hooked up to get broadcasts, but I know England is very bent on the "green" stuff. A church recently had a free showing of "An Inconvenient Truth." I don't buy it, but I do think we need to be responsible stewards of the earth. So we recycle and I save money by doing paperless billing, but I don't get wound up about it.

You can keep your 80*.