Tuesday 15 April 2008

Home again

I forgot to mention on my weekend post, that we had to get some gas on the economy while on our trip - got 1/4 of a tank for $40. At that, the gauge was at 1/8 when we got home Sat night. We've never had this van so low, and so don't know how fast it slips after that point.

So Sunday morning I was worried about gas (I guess that sounds funny to my Oz friends, but you know that's what we call petrol), so suggested we go to the base and fill p (and buy more underwear for the boys, and have lunch) and then go to the "gospel" service at 12:30 in the base chapel.

But for some reason we had a hard time getting up to speed, so we only had time for gas and a snack before church. The service wasn't bad. Chaplain even said, repeatedly, that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to get to God!! They had an altar call!! Pretty bold for a chapel service.

Then we popped over to the BX for boys' underwear, and had pizza after that.

Sunday is my regular weigh-in day, and let me tell you, I was scared of those scales, what with cake and McDonald's all weekend, but I'd lost 3 pounds last week. That was pretty exciting. Must have something to do with carrying an assortment of children up and down stairs for two days. :-) That makes for a total of 9 lbs so far (I'd gained 5 lbs on Resurrection week so had to re-lose that), and I think it's all off my face - at least that's the only place I can tell it. I read a statement last week that has helped me through several cravings.
"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

Yesterday the landlord (well, the agency) called to schedule an inspection. Yikes! By Thursday we must try to get everything in order.

William tried baby cereal last night. It didn't impress him much one way or the other. Ella ate most of it.

5 comments:

Ganeida said...

An altar call is pretty bold in England full stop.

We always have trouble getting up to speed. It's a chronic disease in this house.

And while I know you guys call petrol gas I do giggle because gas comes in these huge cylinders that attach to the outside of your house so you can cook dinner if you so happen to have a gas stove. NOT interchangeable!

MamaOlive said...

Well, that's better than what I think of... We also say a person has gas when they need to make smelly noises, if you know what I mean. And, yes, Americans have gas stoves, too, so I guess we are just confused. :-D (We get propane to fire our gas stoves, if it comes in a tank; if it's piped in it is "natural gas".)

Ganeida said...

Um, my lot are much cruder about the smelly aspects of gas. *sigh* boys!

S.A.M. said...

I must tell you every time you write about the BX I keep reading The Bronx.

Does this mean you guys have finally found a good church, because they have an altar call? I had to ask Wil what that meant.

Congrats on William eating solid food, he'll get the hang of it soon.

MamaOlive said...

S.A.M,
I guess you know BX is short for Base Exchange - the army calls it PX for post exchange. It's basically our Target.

Church - I don't know. It's funny that you didn't know what an altar call is. I've had to discover that the kind of church I always thought was "normal" only represents a small minority.
What impressed us about this chapel service is that they didn't seem to worry about it being in the chapel. Chaplains have been discharged from the military for praying in Jesus' name, and so most of them are extra careful to be politically correct. So we didn't expect to like a chapel service much; it took us by surprise a bit.