Monday, 4 February 2008


So I'm not posting everyday. Get off my back, already! I know, no one is complaining except me.

Saturday was pretty, but cold. Cold, schmold; we are in England! Let's see something.
Bob found 20 sites within the area and was plotting a circuit when I suggested we pick ONE thing to see. Oh, well, then let's go to Castle Acre Priory and Castle. The town of Castle Acre was a medieval planned community with a castle, village, and priory (like a monastery). The ruins are operated by English Heritage; when Bob went in to pay he realized that a year's membership would pay for itself in just 3 visits (to any of their hundreds of sites), so he bought in. A little pricey in one whack, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Castle Acre is a pretty little town, in sheep fields amongst gentle hills and woods. After a couple of well-marked turns down one-lane two-way streets, we arrived at the priory. Bob went in to pay and I loaded babies into the stroller and pulled boys off the walls of the visitor's center and told the girls they could wait to visit the toilet until Daddy came out. He got done, we walked up to the toilets and back down toward the ruins. Taryn asked, "Do they know it won't fall down?" Well, no, there is no safety guarantee. This place was built in 11something, and torn down in 1530something when good ol' Henry 8 changed religions (er, wives). You know that colorful gentleman could be Bob's great-great-great...-great-uncle?
There were big old trees that the children promptly climbed. Then onto the ruins. The stroller was hard to push through the lush grass, but it was worth it. The place was pretty big and fancy at one point. Huge windows, towering pillars, etc. The alter is still there and I paused for a moment to feel the years of daily prayers offered there. We ran and climbed and explored 'til our noses ran and fingers got still from the cold. Then back to the car to warm up on the two-minute drive over to the castle. Only Bob and Taryn got out there, as there isn't a lot to see from the ground.

On our way back to Lakenheath (had some shopping to do), we went through Weeting again, and this time we found its castle (It wasn't as well marked, so we had to stop and ask). The road up to the castle left a little to be desired. Looks like it used to be a creek a while back and someone dumped a few piles of mud in it. I was afraid we wouldn't make it, but Bob confidently navigated the puddles. Just past the castle was the church (also on the Flickr, but I'm getting tired of the links and figure you are, too).

So then we had an early supper at Rugby's (the coffee shop seen earlier on Flickr) and on to the grocery store. It was supposed to be a quick trip, but I forgot my list so we had to go up every isle to check, and we decided to just get fruit and veg there and see how much it was compared to the box scheme. I even bought a pint of strawberries for $3 and it came out cheaper than ordering a box. But it's not organic, and half-local at best. There is a new organic section in the commissary, and I picked up a bag of sweet potatoes there, marked $5 something. But when I got to the checkout the lady informed me that it was $5something per POUND, not per BAG. It would have been over $20!! I said, "No, thank you." Whoever is doing the buying for the store is getting ripped off; organic is a little more expensive, but not that much.

We decided to try this church. We were worried about it, because they only have 6 adult members, and no one under 50, much less under 10. So Bob called first, and they said they'd love to have us. It took longer to get there than we thought, so we were late, but they stopped and brought us songbooks and did the "children's talk" there in the middle of service. Afterwards we were invited back for tea, and the children tried some but didn't like it. We visited for a few minutes and tried to explain that Bob was stationed at Lakenheath, but we live in Cheveley. ANyway, they were nice, and excited to see us, but it is a little far, and a little dry. We'll probably keep looking.

After we found our way back home we decided to go eat at the Little Chef (remember those, Dad?) in Mildenhall. A bit of a drive, but we felt comfortable going there. The pubs all have Sunday lunch, but it's expensive and a roast, which Bob doesn't care for anyway. Then back home to chill for the evening. Except Bob built a fire so it wasn't chilly.

Cleaning my teeth before bed last night, I realized that I've lost a filling. So this morning I called the dentist and will go in this afternoon. I'm gonna have to drive. Maybe I should pray and fast for lunch today. ha. But I am a little nervous.

So now we are caught up again.


Wil said...

Thanks for the continuing story, Shari. I know it can be time-consuming to blog (especially to find and add all the links), but it's definitely worth it for those of us back in the States.

Marline and I are staying very current with all of you through the blogs and photos. Even if we don't get to come visit, we'll feel like we were along for the ride.

Love you guys

MamaOlive said...

I didn't know if the links would be interesting or irritating. Maybe it depends on the reader's connection speed.
I'm glad you all are enjoying it. And I do hope you get to come see for yourself.
We love y'all, too.