Monday 1 September 2008

School

I said once I'd let you know when re started the new school year, so here goes.

A couple of weeks ago I joined the local homeschool group, and they had a few things that sounded pretty interesting, though it doesn't look like we'll join those after all.

Taryn has pretty much drug 3rd grade out until now. Well, she'd finished Science and 2 History/Social Studies books before Christmas, whizzed through a Spelling text, and of course she reads all the time; but Math and English are still not done. So this Friday I pulled out the box of next year's books. She has new Science and History texts, a spelling book, a Grammar book, and Math. Looking in the Math I discovered that it has considerable overlap with her 3rd grade book, so we are just going to switch books at this point; she will continue the English with supplements from Grammar. So there you have it.

Today is the first day of 4th grade, and we are in Rod and Staff for the core subjects, with Wanda Phillips' Easy Grammar, and a few worksheet-type books for writing/English supplements.

I also did a little furniture arranging this morning. I guess I am bored without Bob. At least I'm doing positive things with my energy.

3 comments:

Ganeida said...

I'm reading a lot of back to school stuff as you Americans start a new year (you strange people, you, ;P) in the middle of the year. It is making me feel more incompetant than usual. All this planning & scheduling & ...yep, I'm the 'wadda you mean you've run out of curriculum?' girl.

MamaOlive said...

And I have more curriculum than I'm likely to use. This year's books were purchased last year, when Rod and Staff had their "seconds" sale. The History/Geography book has the world map upside down in the front cover, but it was half price. lol.
And I have the next two years' worth that I got at a garage sale years ago. I need another bookshelf. ;-)

Ganeida said...

Hey I just had some exciting looking geography arrive but as I have to send in work soon I'll have to set it aside for a bit & concentrate on serious academics. *sigh*