Tuesday 11 December 2007

My first post

Being one to just jump in, here we go!

Bob bought a car yesterday. It's a 96' (or so) Honda Accord, UK specs, and just passed the yearly inspection. I haven't seen it up close yet, but he says it runs great and everything is dandy. So that will save us renting a car until our van gets here. Only problem is we can't all fit in it, so Bob will be on his own for house hunting and etc.

We are supposed to get our "hold baggage" sometime today. Between 8-5. It's after 10 now, so I guess there was no need for me to jump out of bed at 7:30. But I did sleep in between feedings last night, so it's not terrible. Night before last was my first good night's sleep in about 3 weeks. William has been pretty grumpy at night, and there is my own head cold, and the older children coming in to ask silly questions, and lack of my personal pillow, etc. So I am less tired than I have been.

Yesterday we looked at a house in Thetford. We drove by a couple days ago and Bob talked to the neighbors; they were very nice. I like the place pretty well. The back "garden" is the biggest we've seen, and there are small closets in the larger 3 bedrooms. The small room doesn't have one. Two "en suites" - that means a 3/4 bath room off the bedroom, plus a full bath, and a 1/2 bath downstairs. Nice looking kitchen. But we'd have to cram pretty hard to get all our stuff to fit.
So we keep looking.

There WERE 2 other 5 bedroom houses on that same street, but one closed Friday, and the other closed yesterday morning.

Well, I think the point of a blog is to have one topic per post. I'll have to work on that.

Gas is $8 a gallon here. We thought $3 was bad in Texas! We get super on base for about $3.50. I say "about" because it's sold in liters for some reason I haven't figured out yet. And since liters have no bearing to real measurements like quarts and gallons, the best we can do is guess.

Today is totally clear and bright, but the coldest day so far. Still just 30*.

Ced's eyes are clear today! For the last week he's been pussy, red, and swollen. But yesterday was a lot better, and today they look normal again. I hate it when my children suffer.

We got some Cadbury's instant yesterday, and Bob and I had a cup before bed last night. Yum!

We've been looking at cell phones. Mobile phones, they say here. Virgin has a good deal if you want home phone, internet, and satelite as well. But that would have to wait til we get a house. And a British TV. And their website gives very little info. A lot of the standard mobile packages have lots of text messages, which we never use, so it's different to sort through. T-Mobile has a couple of deals that look promising, but we'd need a few more details than the web site gives in order to make a good decision. It looks like whichever plan we get, it will be about 30GBP per month per phone. I don't think they have "family plans" here like everyone did in the states.


Well, the movie is over and William is starting to fuss, so I guess that's it for now.

4 comments:

Ganeida said...

Yaaay!!!!! Woot! Whole bunch of them dancing smiley thingies. I am going to love reading about a Yankee in Britian in winter! (Non~Americans call all Americans Yankees regardless of whether they are from the north or the south.) Woot!

MamaOlive said...

Thanks for the enthusiasim. I'm sure I won't live up to any of your expectaions, but I think it'll be fun.

Ganeida said...

Of course it will be fun. And then the kids join in & get to stand round & say things like, 'You're not going to write about that are you?' And you get to say, 'Yep! Mummy perogative/revenge.' Mine all read my blog on the sly to find out what I've been saying about them & 'Ditz' complains about her nickname. Unfortunately it suits her to a T.

S.A.M. said...

Dear Shari, I'm so glad you've started a blog. It's so much easier to keep in touch that way. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you guys so you'll find a spacious home in a nice neighborhood soon. Keep the blogs coming. Oh and when you have time check out Wil's portraits of the kids on his smug mug, they came out really well.