Monday 9 June 2008

Laptop conclusion

So Sunday before church we went back to the BX. It took us a little longer to find an employee this time, but he did seem a bit more knowledgeable and willing to help. We had him put his password into all 4 of the small laptops they had and checked the scores. Compaq was 3.1, Sony was 3.5, Toshiba was 4.0. Hmm, I can only remember 3 of them now. Anyway! Bob pointed to the Toshiba and said, "I'm getting you that one." It was cheaper than the Sony in spite of being a higher rating and a larger screen, and much better than the cheaper Compaq. (Plus, our first laptop was a Compaq and we saw why the nickname for "Presario" is "pretty sorry, oh.") He also got more memory for his computer.

Then we had lunch, went to church, and then I dropped Bob and the children off at the playground while I went to the commissary. Yesterday started off very foggy, but the sun popped out about 1pm and it was a beautiful afternoon. So I went after a few groceries... took my time walking through, trying to remember everything we might need, and ended up with half a cart full - not a huge amount. Then I headed up to the checkout line. At military commissaries worldwide, the custom is to form one line, and the person in front will just go to the next available cashier. Pretty effective way of doing things, if you ask me. But, there were about 50 people in line and two cash registers open. So I tool a good look at my selections and decided I really didn't need that stuff after all. I picked out 15 things, left the rest in the cart, and went to the self-checkout 'express' line. There were about 4 people in that line, and all 4 registers open, so it only took a few minutes. The discount cereal had to be entered by an employee, so I called him over and he eventually figured out how to do it, and then I had to call him back to do the coupon, but I got it done and was FREE to leave. Back over to the playground where the children were very thirsty and *not* ready to go home.

We made it home about 4pm and I started to set up my computer and fix dinner. We just had fruit salad and sausage mac 'n' cheese.
I think I've got it going okay now, with some unwanted pre-installed software removed, and Firefox installed. Now I just have to get my favorites and some programs going and I'll be in there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, you will set it on a high shelf when it is not on your lap, right?jc

Anonymous said...

Toshibas came highly recommended when we were looking, but your dad had to have a Gateway (we're happy with it. Hope your Toshiba works out.

I second jc's recommendation. Plus drinks and food only at the dining table.
mums

Ganeida said...

Hm, I like how things get replaced/fixed when the MOH can no longer live with them. lol.

MamaOlive said...

So far I have been setting it beside the couch so it's in easy reach when I sit down with William. The children want this one to work so they can have the old one - I've got some cool games.

Ganeida, LOL. That is the way of it, no doubt.

S.A.M. said...

I'm going to stick up for the Compaq Presario. I have had mine since August 13, 2001 and she has been a good and faithful computer. Although the transition from Windows Me to XP nearly killed her, she survived. I will have to get a new one eventually, even though I'm fighting against it because I hate glossy screens. I still only have 128MB of RAM, but I can surf the net, you tube, watch movies and tv shows on hulu, do some photoshop not too much, but she's still a good computer. Maybe the ones now aren't too good because HP bought it, but if I had to again I would buy Compaq. Ok now I'm done. ;-)

MamaOlive said...

s.a.m., I'm glad you like your Compaq. Really! The one we had was the cheapo version. When we were shopping, I did look at the screens, and some are better than others. Bob's new HP is bad for viewing at an angle; I think this Toshiba is better about that part of it.