Saturday 17 January 2009

Taryn is 10

10 Years ago today... The dr announced "SHE's perfectly healthy".
Labor was about 6 hours, which is pretty quick for a first baby, I guess, and things seemed to move fast except for the pushing - push down, stop to breathe, slip back up. Ugg! But she finally made it and boy were we glad! A half-hour or so after the delivery, the nurses were taking care of Taryn, and Bob was out signing paperwork, when my mother in law called the room to check on progress. She was a bit surprised when I answered the phone, but managed to ask how far apart my contractions were. I said, "they stopped 20 minutes ago" (or whatever the time was). She sounded disappointed when she asked, "What did the Doctor say?". My response was a slight modification of the doctor's actual words: "She said, 'It's a girl.'" Mother in law nearly cried. :-D

Anywho... Today, since we were bad parents and didn't plan a big party in the middle of our move on a holiday weekend in the winter in a cold and damp country, we stayed home all day. I made BBQ meatballs and macaroni and cheese for lunch, Bob went outside in the rain (in spite of his cold) and put together the trampoline we'd picked up for FREE last month, the children watched Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, we had lunch and cake and presents. Things calmed down a bit after lunch - the 4 big children went out to jump on the trampoline and draw with sidewalk chalk (the sun came out for a while), we watched a new movie Taryn got, and they played the computer (did I forget to blog about getting a new desktop for them? It was $500 total). We had frozen pizza for dinner, as my new fridge/freezer is big enough to hold them. And more cake.

Pictures are online at www.flickr.com/photos/oliveplants log in so you can comment; Bob would get a kick out of that.

One snag we hit was not finding the birthday candles, so I actually did a quick drive up to the commissary to buy some more. I almost didn't find the wrapping paper to wrap the presents, but then I remembered at the last minute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you -- you were able to make a beautiful cake in the middle of all the chaos, and wrap presents, and cook dinner. Give yourself a pat on the back.
mums

Ganeida said...

Happy Birthday, Taryn!