Wednesday 11 March 2009

new recipe

I got a free sample in the mail a while back of Kashi fruit and granola bar. It was pretty good, but our commissary doesn't sell them. My ever-evolving diet now contains healthy snacks throughout the day, and I thought of those bars that I can't buy.

So I looked on Allrecipes.com and found a couple of promising recipes. I combined and healthified them, and came up with this:

Fruit-filled oat bars
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
Combine dry, cut in butter. Press 1/2 (or more) in a 9x13 pan that has been foil-lined, and the foil sprayed with oil.
8 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1/4 c sugar
Beat til smooth. Carefully spread over crumbs.
10 oz jar black cherry all-fruit spread (sugar-free jam)
Warm slightly in micro, spread over cream cheese.
Top with remaining crumbs.
Bake at 350* 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool before slicing.

Mine is still warm, but I tried a bit and it is very nice! Only problem is, it's a bit dry/crumbly. I think I will try it next time with a little applesauce added to the crumbs - maybe reduce the sugar and the butter some more.

(The original recipe that I'm mostly following called for 1 c sugar and 3/4 c butter. The recipe that had the cream cheese layer mixed in a can of sweetened condensed milk! Both suggested using fresh berries, cooked down in sugar, instead of the jam, but listed jam as an alternative.)

1 comment:

Ganeida said...

Try melting he butter. That way it's easy to see if your mix will be driesh & it's easy enough to melt some more before pressing it into your pan. Also chopped seeds & nuts can be added to the oats. We've made several versions of *muslie bars* because most of us aren't real keen on sultanas. Actually I'll have a look for you. I did have at least one no bake bar that was very healthy. Wonder if I've sill got it?