Friday 19 August 2011

misc



Words are fast failing me as it's already getting late and we haven't been sleeping well for a week or two. But I wanted to share some stuff... I'm positive there were at least three posts worth... hm. Anyway, we worked on the "closet" some this week.


The cukes are still doing well, and the tomatoes are over my head. This was one day's haul.



Today we went to the fairgrounds to check on our entries. There were a couple of frustrations, for instance Naysha took a picture of Taryn goofing off in the back of the van, and entered it as "People" (not posed). She got a white ribbon (here every entry gets a ribbon - white is close to being disqualified and not to be confused with third place), and on the comment section the judge wrote "this WAS posed." But we knew it wasn't, so we didn't have to feel bad about getting poor marks. Naysha got Grand Champion on her 4-H pullet chain hens, and Taryn got Reserve Grand Champion. (They were just the first 8 hens that Bob grabbed to take up there. But apparently they were our layers, because we went from 6 eggs per day to 2.) Naysha got Reserve Grand on a photo. I got Grand Champion on my watermelon rind pickles. And several entries got 1st or 2nd place. Made me happy.

So the other things to mention were the washer, but that gets a whole post, and our bedroom, but I need pictures for that. So I guess that's it for now.


1 comment:

Wil said...

The closet looks great.

Concerning the contest judging: It reminded me of one of the newspaper contests that The Seminole Producer enters every year.

A few years ago, the comments we received on our entries were completely unrelated to our submissions, almost as if the judge had been looking at another newspaper when writing about ours.

It took me a couple of weeks to get over that.