Tuesday 25 March 2014

company chicken

We had a family of 6 over for dinner last night, and those guys can EAT! (Our guys do, too.)
We had a Chinese food buffet, with (bought) egg rolls, two kinds of chicken (since beef is 3x the price of chicken now), two veges, noodles, rice, and peach cobbler (so that's not Chinese, but tell me the mocha cakes are!).
I was asked for the chicken recipes, and since I have to type them anyway i thought I may as well share them here, in case Wil doesn't have them already. I mean, for all my dear readers. ahem.

Chinese Chicken (original recipe - I made about 3 times this much)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (some like thighs; I like breast), cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 T oil
1/8 tsp garlic powder
8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
4 oz can sliced mushrooms, optional (or fresh, but still optional) yuck!
2 ribs celery, sliced
4 ozs fresh snow peas, prepared (I left these out since no one actually likes them)
1/4 c soy sauce (Kikkoman is best)

Coat chicken with cornstarch. Heat oil in large skillet to med-hi; add chicken and brown quickly. (Do this in batches if making more than one pound). Sprinkle with garlic; lower heat to medium; add next 3 ingredients. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook a few minutes.

Honeyed Chicken Teriyaki (for 4 servings - I doubled this as well)
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 or 2" pieces
1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 egg, beaten (I forgot this step!)
oil

sauce:
1/3 c honey
1/3 c soy sauce
1 T sherry
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated fresh ginger

Combine sauce ingredients and warm gently.
Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with flour. Heat oil in frying pan over med-high heat (it says 1/2 inch deep, but I usually don't go that deep). When hot, add chicken in batches. Cook and turn till nicely browned. Drain on paper towels, then place in baking pan. Pour sauce over and bake at 250* for 20 minutes or so, turning once to coat.



1 comment:

Wil said...

Ha. I think you have as many readers as I do (ahem), at least on my Verily blog. :-)

When I pass this on to my wife, I'll be sure to delete the mushroom line. :-)